On 01 Apr 2006, at 5:40 PM, Peter Taylor wrote:

On 01 Apr 2006, at 8:21 AM, Peter Taylor wrote:

Gone are the days when a few ordinary-looking local lads in Liverpool could form their own little group, write their own music, practice at each other's houses, play at local dance halls and get discovered by talent scouts.

Replace "Liverpool" with "Sheffield" and "talent scouts" with "the internet (especially MySpace)" and that's exactly the story of the Arctic Monkeys, one of the most talked-about rock bands on the scene right now.

- Darcy

But isn't that the point? They decided to promote their music themselves on MySpace Music presumably because the record companies couldn't recognise they had any prospect as moneyspinners (but I don't have any knowledge of that).

I think the point is that they didn't *need* record company backing to succeed (at least not initially -- once they had generated some momentum on their own, their label certainly helped them get to the next level).

But clearly, the days of record companies as exclusive gatekeepers are rapidly waning. And good riddance!

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://secretsociety.typepad.com