At 4/7/2006 11:33 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

>On Apr 6, 2006, at 4:05 PM, Peter Taylor wrote:
>
>> Whenever the "speaking" of songs instead of singing them is the topic,
>> I'm always reminded of Rex Harrison as Professor Higgins in the London
>> stage production of My Fair Lady.  He had a wonderful speaking voice,
>> but you get the definite impression he couldn't sing a note.
>>

>Indeed he could not. Having him speak the lyrics in rhythm was a
>desperate kludge that turned out to be perfect for the character. Each
>of the songs does in fact have a clear melody that you can hear in the
>orchestra; the combination of this w. Harrison's spoken delivery
>results in a combined effect very close to what one would experience if
>he had actually been singing.

My question is, could you have notated a part for Professors Higgins, such that, a performer unaware of previous performances, could have replicated that part?

And, here is a question for notaters in general:

If rap is music. How many of you would be interested in notating it?

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley