> On May 4, 2006, at 2:42 AM, Owain Sutton wrote:
>

> >> Bill Duncan's Finale fonts has this, and it is a piece of
> cake to use

> >> is one of
> >>>

> > Do you mean it just has the fonts?  And that you still have to go
> > through the ridiculous 'nonstandard time signature'
> procedure to set up
> > microtones properly?
> >

> You must have meant "nonstandard KEY signature" but no, you
> don't have
> to do this. You can enter the half-sharps and whatnot as
> articulations,
> and they will be automatically placed and spaced (except for chords,
> yikes!) though you won't get microtonal playback. (Frankly, the
> barriers involved in correct microtonal playback of harmony
> instruments
> is so great I'm not sure it is doable in normal MIDI.
> Individual notes
> in single lines, of course, are fine.)

Yes, I meant key signature ;)

This sounds like a fudge masquerading as a well-designed implementation.
Entering them as articulations doesn't sound very helpful when dealing
with transposition, for instance.

> >> Already there and always has been, at least since v3.0.
> >>

> > Having read the replies, I still don't get it.  It's not
> there in the
> > Expression Designer (unless it's an anonymous default option or
> > summat).
> > It's there if I double-click to enter an expression, but
> that doesn't
> > help for pre-defining one.
> >

> I think you've lost us here....

Yep, I think I was trying to make a couple of points in one, I'll take
another look at the file it was annoying me with to remind myself what
the problem was.

> >> be adjusted
> >>

> >> Staff Styles - the list of things that can be changed includes Stem
> >> Settings (under Items to Display, weird), which seems to
> include stem
> >> attachments and lengths, which might kill two of your problem birds
> >> with one stone...
> >>

> > Doesn't seem to have the same choices as Document Options - Stems
> >

> I'm mystified, then. What more do you need than length,
> endpoints, and
> horizontal placement that can't be done with note
> expressions? Can you
> be more specific?

The Staff Style stem settings don't let you change the normal stem
length or the stem line thickness.  These can only be done globally,
which I've found to be an issue in the past.

> >> This could be a plugin, if someone wanted to make it.
> >>

> > A dictionary needs to be more than a plugin!  To be useful,
> it needs to
> > be good, from day one.  That perhaps is the biggest problem.
> >

> I'm sorry, I didn't understand your objection. One could make
> a plugin
> that uses any dictionary one wants, can't one?

OK, fair point!