Hello, you are probably on the right track as to making the barlines
thicker.  It is really easy to do by selecting the measure tool, click in
the first measure and hold down the shift key, then touch the right arrow
key.  This selects all of the measures on this staff.  Then right click on
any of those selected measures and click on Solid Barlines on the pop up
menu.  It will definitely make it easier to see.

Keith Caldwell