On 5/10/06 11:08 AM, "David W. Fenton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 10 May 2006 at 17:46, dc wrote:
>
>> David W. Fenton écrit:
>>> I've consistently just used parentheses, because in the repertory I'm
>>> working in, that is never used in the original sources.
>>
>> I was assuming Scot meant square brackets, as opposed to the round
>> ones.
>
> I can't recall an edition with square brackets on accidentals that
> didn't look terrible (I'm thinking of a particular A-R Edition, in
> fact, one that is horridly engraved, in my opinion).

I'm curious which edition in particular you were thinking of. I'd like to go
take a look at it.

>> It's not because the source doesn't use parentheses that a modern
>> edition might not want both (cautionary) accidentals and [editorial]
>> accidentals.
>
> While I'm all for being as clear as possible about editorial
> intervention, I don't see that this is the way to go. It seems way
> too fussy to me, while using parens for all accidentals not found in
> the original (courtesy or editorial doesn't matter -- they are
> unambiguously implied in the original, so really, I see them all as
> courtesy accidentals) and accidentals above the note for editorial
> suggestions seems to me to maintain the same distinction you're
> trying to implement with round and square brackets.
>
> I can't recall very many editions that I've seen that use inline
> square brackets for editorial accidental suggestions, and I just
> think it's not going to be clear at all. I see no reason to go beyond
> the "ficta" practice for editorial suggestions for accidentals. One
> reason for that is that putting them inline basically makes them
> obligatory, while putting them above means they will likely be
> omitted until the performer has studied the score (and decided
> whether or not to incorporate the suggested accidental).

While I might agree completely with you on the usage of this kind of
editorial indication, as a music engraver alone, I don't have the power to
change our editorial method. So, unless I am suddenly the managing editor of
recent researches, I doubt I'm going to be able to do anything but set
square-bracketed accidentals where they tell me to.

-Scot

--
Scot Hanna-Weir
Music Engraver