Aaron,

If Automatic Update Layout is off, and you forget to manually update layout before printing, you will run into all kinds of problems with incorrect measure widths, serious spacing issues, music running off the edge of the page, missing measures or systems, and the like. For years, an oft-repeated and important piece of advice on this list was "Make sure you *always* update layout before printing!" If you neglect to do this, you *will* have problems, period -- which is why it's much easier for most users (especially new users) to leave Automatic Update Layout on. That the option to turn it off still exists is a relic of the days when auto-update layout resulted in a significant performance hit -- this is no longer the case on any computer less than five years old.

In your particular example, you have to manually *unlock* a system in order to get the measures to reflow. If you didn't want the measures to reflow, why would you unlock the system in the first place?

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://secretsociety.typepad.com
Brooklyn, NY

On 16 Jun 2006, at 10:59 AM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

At 01:20 AM 6/16/2006, Darcy James Argue wrote:
>On 15 Jun 2006, at 10:20 PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:
>
>> Well, you might try turning off Edit | Automatic Update Layout.
>> That will prevent Finale from doing anything with the layout behind
>> your back.
>
>NOT recommended. This is not the problem here -- "Automatic Update
>Layout" does not (by default) *change* the layout, it only ensures
>there are no nasty surprises when it comes time to print the part.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here, Darcy. If I have a part open, and I select a measure in Mass Edit and press the down arrow to jam into the system below, both systems get locked. Then I hit U to unlock the destination system. With AUL on, that system and the ones below it reflow (according to the Update Layout settings). With AOL off, nothing happens when I hit U, and the page prints that way as well.

Aaron.