I'm not sure if this is your exact problem or not, but it seems worth
mentioning.  I would suggest that before optimizing you *first* finalize
your music and its horizontal spacing, especially, in this case, the number
of measures in each system.  After doing this the vertical layout can be
dealt with more successfully.

Optimization is system specific, at least in this situation.  Here is an
example (hopefully clear) of a potential pitfall in not ordering your
workflow as suggested:
- "Piece Du Jour" has 4 total staves, A, B, C and D
- system one shows staves A, B and D when optimized
- system two shows staves A, C and D when optimized
- if any measures are moved from system one to system two (by re-spacing or
  forcing) those moved measures will adhere to system two's optimization
  and show staves A, C and D.  The music in the moved measures from staff
  B would be hidden.

AFAIK the only way to get things the way they should be at this stage is to
first remove all existing optimization and then re-optimize.  So you might
as well wait to optimize in the first place.

Don Hart