On Jun 16, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

I see it quite a bit in the shows I have done or checked out. Kiss of the Spider Woman, the Producers, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, all use violin/viola doublers. I think they really try to squeeze as many different colours out of the few players they have as is humanly possible, and make a nice taste for the guys who are making doubling money.

IMO -and experience, this is a compelling reason. Better musicians can be kept in mind numbing pit jobs if they are being paid for a lot of doubles.

(5) I panicked when I saw that the cello book was absolutely full of treble clef. In fact, only 3 notes in tenor clef, and I'll bet they were inherited from the old orchestration! But my first cellist assures me that she is used to it and will enjoy the challenge. My question is whether the use of treble in cello parts has become so common as not to raise questions?

I often find it in cello and bass parts. The nice thing about some passages in the tenor clef for cellists is "play the same fingering one string higher." It doesn't always work, but it's easy and fun when it does.

As a jazz bassist, I prefer the treble clef when things get high in my bass parts.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836