On Jun 24, 2006, at 10:19 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Both are correct. What you write depends on the context: is this chord symbol just a label above a fully written-out piano part, or is it above slash marks?

If the specific triadic G-over-F voicing is crucial, and it's above slash marks, G-over-F is your best bet. If the precise arrangement of notes in the voicing can be left to the discretion of the player, or if it's just a label above a piano part that's already fully-written out, "F6/9(#11)" is better.

Thanks, Darcy... It's actually a "lead sheet" with one staff of notes, lyrics, and the chord symbols above the staff. I'm thinking for the group I'm doing this for, the G over F will be more clear - they will probably have no idea how to play an F6/9(#11)!! :)

- Jacki