Aaron Sherber wrote:
At 06:05 PM 8/11/2006, Robert Patterson wrote:
 >The
 >annual upgrade cycle is not condusive to refining old features.

...or getting new ones quite as right as they could be.

That reminds me of the scene in the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup, where Groucho is the new head of state and at a cabinet meeting someone raises the issue of taxes.

Secretary: We must discuss the taxes.
Groucho: I'm sorry, that's new business, we're discussing old business right now. Any more old business to discuss? Okay, let's discuss new business.
Secretary: We have to discuss the taxes!
Groucho: I'm sorry, that's old business now, we can't discuss that, we're discussing new business now.

MakeMusic introduces a new feature which isn't quite as right as it could be. Next year, it's an old feature and we know they aren't great at improving old features, preferring to pack in new features.
Five years/versions later, that once-new feature hasn't been improved.

Now that's true with some things, but definitely not true with others, so it isn't quite a fair depiction of things.

But it certainly does seem accurate some times, even with major features which aren't licensed from others.

--
David H. Bailey