At 11:51 AM -0700 9/9/06, Chuck Israels wrote:
I'm working on a piece for choir and concert band What should be the score order relationship of the choir to the band? Choir at the top?

There must be a precedent for this, but I don't know what it is.

TIA,

Chuck

The precedent is orchestral practice, which usually places either vocal soloists or chorus above the strings in modern publications, which is also where an instrumental solo part would be placed.

In my own band/chorus scores I lay the page out:
        Woodwinds
        Chorus
        Brass
        Percussion

for no particular reason and with no particular precedent except that it works well for me.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music