Le 06-10-14 à 07:42, Christopher Smith a écrit :

I have never seen something I could recognise as Score output, but from visiting the Lilypond site (and other clues, like the usual engraving books) I have developed more of an eye for Finale's shortcomings in the spacing department. I am looking critically at older classical engravings now, and discovering some subtle things that I never would have noticed before.

Hi Christopher, you have probably seen Score engraving everywhere if you ever looked at sheetmusic (pop) published by Hal Leonard in the last 15 years. I think they switched to Sibelius 3 or 4 years ago. The overwhelming majority of guitar instruction books and licks of rock groups were made with Score too.
For a simple example, see the link below:
http://www.scoremus.com/examples.html
There is nothing special in this sample to prove anything about the spacing strengh of Score, but at least you'll have the chance to see that, without knowing it, you've seen lots of music made with Score.

Éric