On Nov 17, 2006, at 3:02 PM, Will Denayer wrote:

Dear all, I would like to ask something really very basic, but since I do not know ...
I am still figuring out Finale and it doesn't go quick.
I am not very satisfied with the GPO-sounds which come with Finale '07. The sounds are fine, but I would like to have more instruments. This is not something I am going to do immediately, but for the longer term, what is your opinion about the GPO full version? Are there cheaper alternatives to GPO?
To ask something really dumb: what means violins KS?

KS = Key Switch. It means that Finale uses a hidden note (key) to effect changes like pizz./arco, or cup mute/open in brass. This is done automatically according to the expression you put in your score. (Finale "reads" pizz. and that "throws the switch".) I have no experience with other good sound samples, though others have said that good ones are available. My sense is that GPO is pretty good for the money. Others may weigh in with other points of view.

They sound like regular violins to me. Suppose I write something and I use violins KS, violins pizz. and violins arco, what is happening in the final version? Finale will put everything on one stave, right (everything else would be ridiculous)? As for musical news, I cannot get over it. I bought a CD today with music of Nicola Lefanu, a British composer/professor of composition. Technically it's all perfectly written, but by god, this is boring stuff!

This could open up a discussion of what makes non-boring music, and I'd have strong opinions on the matter. There is a lot of music that is supported by academic institutions that speaks only to others playing the same musical game, and a large portion of it leaves me cold, sometimes even offended, and I have no time for that. Still every now and then, I discover something I really like.

Chuck

Respectfully, Will Denayer

Send instant messages to your online friends http:// uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Chuck Israels