Kim has actually asked this question before, I think. :)

At 11:27 AM 12/1/06 -0500, John Howell wrote:
>I have NEVER seen an ISBN number on any piece of music.  That isn't
>how it's sold, unless I am very much behind the times.

I'm actually considering using ISBN or UPC for the future, since I've used
them for books and CDs. Music is hard to find (as the Orchestra List shows
sometimes!), so one or the other would make it easier -- probably the ISBN
since it is a bound publication that's not a serial. Why not? Any reason
militate against ISBN for music?

>It sounds very much like a Vanity Press operation, and something to
>be avoided.  Making you pay for a proof copy is a dead giveaway, in
>my eyes.

Lulu has a good reputation, and the proof copy is a way of keeping folks
from creating a full-color one-off book for the family and getting the one
copy the want for free (Lulu does a lot of family photo books). I've
described my experiences with another such POD publisher, and it was very
positive. I wrote:

I have used on-demand printing for this book, which I edited and designed:
  http://www.amazon.com/Marching-Browns-Ghost-Civil-Rights/dp/0965932621/

It wasn't Lulu, which was founded two years after the book was published.
It was actually just a print-on-demand printer (not publisher, since we
already had one). It was a very straightforward process, and I'm sure it
has gotten even simpler with 'full-service' POD publishers. I provided two
files as PDFs, the cover and the body, and specified the trade paperback
size. They sent one copy for approval, then a crate of books followed.

Lightning Source in Tennessee. https://www.lightningsource.com/

Dennis