On 12/18/06, shirling & neueweise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

with the 1st 7 styles you would solve the majority of the cases

You also need octave transposition ones for double bass, in particular. The
problem is certainly not intractable: just a bit messy. Remember, for cues
you will likely need clef changes even for instruments that do not usually
have clef changes, like Eb Alto Sax, A Clarinet, and Piccolo.

Btw, if you use C scores, this plan fails entirely. I have been toying with
going back to C scores, esp. for chamber works. In these cases, I actually
leave "Display in Concert Pitch" off and have a transposed copy of each
staff of each transposing instrument. The score shows only the
non-transposing staves while the parts for the transposing instruments show
the transposed staves. It is a compromise, but a pretty decent compromise,
esp. if only a few staves transpose.

you can erase staff styles from partial measures, although this only
works in around 98% of the cases i have tried it in,

Even if you manage to pierce one of the many chinks in Finale's armor and
erase a partial measure of a clef-transposing style, it does you no good. If
the staff style is assigned at the beginning of the measure, clef changes
are suppressed throughout the measure. And I believe I recall that if you
assign it not at the beginning it has no effect: or wierd effects. Plugins
can easily assign any staff style to any partial measure, and I played with
this awhile back. I prefer to find workarounds that exploit Finale's
documented feature set rather than those that exploit quirky behaviors that
easily may not survive in the next release.