After I ran the Mac 2007a updater, I ended up with one app called Finale 2007, which on closer inspection was indeed the updated version. I was happy to have kept a backup copy of the original 2007 version: I renamed the updated version "Finale 2007a" and copied the backup copy of 2007 back into the Finale folder. When I ran the 2007b updater it replaced the version called Finale 2007 with the newer version, leaving untouched the one I had renamed as 2007a.

Now I have all three versions of Finale 2007. I am careful to keep these different versions because a newer version may introduce a newer bug. In the case of Finale 2007a, MakeMusic tried to correct a hyphen bug (hyphens not disappearing when syllables are close together) and in fact made matters worse, even introducing a new hyphen bug. 2007b hasn't made any change in this respect. Hyphens are a disaster in 2007a and 2007b, and in 2007 they're just about usable. To get correct hyphen placement suitable for a serious publisher, you need to go back to 2006a or earlier.