Darcy-
Thanks, again. I used Kontakt Player 1.x in 2K7 in lieu of Kntk2. I
already knew out of the box it wouldn't work, so I never tried. The
documentation that ships with 2K7 states it will only load GPO/Finale
Bundled instruments set. KntkPyr1.x is the one that crashed on loading in
2K7.

Thanks for the tip about your tutorial-I will grab it pronto. I'm one user
who is not averse to a healthy read of documentation before installing or
using new versions, even thought I somewhat rushed into 2K7 without
checking out ALL the feature changes first.

As far as the Fender Jazz samples, if you export the tracks/staves from
Finale (Save Special as sound files (wav)) into an audio application (like
Apple Soundtrack, which I use for mixing) you'll be amazed to discover
when you load a 10 or 31 band EQ to modify the track you just imported,
ALL the frequency ranges are present in the sampled tracks, and you can
get some phenominally varied sounds using the EQ (listen to the Rhodes on
my tune Bossa Menna, and the Jaco bass on Pastoriale), and then do a final
mix of everything a la 64 track digital studio. (Go listen to some of my
Garritan mp3 creations at www.VernGraham.com, select the RADIO tab). That
reminds me I've got to visit your site and see what there is to se & hear.

As far as your knowledge of bass players, how do you come by these
details? Fantastic info! I saw Ron in a small NYC piano bar (I think it
was Bradley's) about 15 or so years ago when I was living there. He was
playing a duo with a guitarist (who I didn't recognize; older fellow with
a schock of white hair on an F-hole electric). They were standing
(Ron)/sitting (guitarist) on the floor (no stage) not 2 feet in front of
my tiny table for one. I was so busy watching Ron's facial expressions and
his fingers, I didn't even notice the headstock on the instrument. He was
dressed immaculately in a three piece suit (I've been told he is a clothes
hound), and was very gracious and polite and I even got a smile out of him
when I asked him if he still played cello.

I had no idea about Red Mitchell. WOW, Now that's unique.

As far as the current upright sounds in JABB, I use Chuck's samples since
they have such a full, balanced, clean singing sound (the high end speaks
nicely too when you tweak the EQ) versus the other instrument, which has
more of the traditional THUMP sound. (I've played with the various
adjustable parameters in the player to spec them both out.)
Now I'm off to visit northern sounds forum.
Thanks again Darcy.
V.

> [...]
> Instruments tutorial, which you can find in your User Manual folder
> -- the file is called "GPOHP Tutorial Supplement.pdf".
>
> As far as JABB electric basses go, I definitely agree that the
> library ought to include a 5- or 6-string electric going down to the
> low B. I would also like to hear a deeper, more consistent sound,
> with more sustain. You should go to the Garritan Northern Sounds
> forum and suggest it:
>
> http://northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39
>
> For acoustic basses, Ron Carter uses the C extension on most (if not
> all) of his post 1960's recordings, and Red Mitchell played a bass
> tuned in fifths, starting on low C -- like a cello, but an octave
> lower. But since Chuck doesn't play an instrument with the extension,
> those low notes would have to be recorded on a different bass, and
> wouldn't match the original samples.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Darcy
> -----
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Brooklyn, NY
>

> On 16 Feb 2007, at 2:09 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Thanks Chuck, but MM tech support confirmed that the initial
>> release of
>> 2K7 Kontakt2 wouldn't load the Garritan FULL GPO library. I have
>> downloaded 2K7b, but have not installed yet, so I will probably try
>> 2K7c
>> now that Kontakt2 is updated.
>> By the way, I have been hearing and seeing comments about the Bill
>> Duncan
>> font. Can you direct me to where I could see it? Does it work well
>> on the
>> Mac & with Finale?
>> aaaaand....do you think that we can convince Gary Garritan to
>> include 6
>> string bass samples (not just Fender Jazz bass samples) in the next
>> set of
>> sounds so I can mimic Anthony Jackson for my fusion/jazz writing? I
>> know
>> Gary has the C extension for the Contrabass samples in GPO cause I
>> wrote
>> for it and it works!, but not in the JABB library. Only down to the
>> usual
>> E. (I can't think of any jazz upright players that used a C
>> extension, do
>> you know of any? Aside from Ron Carter in the symphonic idiom)
>>
>>> Vern,
>>>
>>> I have a similar set up (pre-Intel Mac G5), and I have no trouble
>>> with
>> the Garritan libraries.  I am not an expert on this (though there are
>> some on the list), so I have no advice short of contacting Garritan
>> support.  I am just responding to let you know that I don't think
>> it is
>> a shortcoming of your hardware, OS version or RAM.
>>>
>>> Chuck

>> been waiting for the Kontakt2 Player fix so I can load the complete
>> tried to use 2007 with Garritan it crashed 20 times in a row while

>>> fax (360) 676-6055