John Howell wrote:
I'm embarrassed to say that I couldn't decide. But I think the key may be in the string pizzicato, or perhaps the tuning of the woodwinds to pure equal temperament instead of tuning each chord. Darcy, what gave it away to you?

Darcy James Argue wrote:
I don't remember exactly what gave it away at first. I think it was the clarinet, which sounds much too "blocky" to be a real clarinet.

Another aspect of the fake example is the too perfect reverberation. The problem with even the best reverberation modelled on real spaces and mixed so that every instrument is clear and spacious is that it is too good, too "commercial" sounding.

Woodwind groupings also are strange in that the vibratos don't match each other. It is more than just being in tune with each other, live musicians also phrase, breathe and vibrate in ways that mesh with each other. You can have the world's biggest sample library and still not achieve that kind of collaboration.

-Randolph Peters