On 26-May-07, at 12:17 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

All of us know that if MakeMusic were to develop a French edition (as IMO it should, Spanish too), it would immediately be denounced as cultural imperialism--as has, for example, Google's world literature project. God forbid the French should ever borrow anything from the British or (shudder) the Americans.

Yes, well that's the nature of the language, isn't it? What would you make of made-up Finale terms like "tuplets" in French? Or "beams", which as far as I know doesn't have an exact equivalent in French, and even in English is a bit of a stretch? As a native English speaker, I appreciate that the need for a word generates that word, even if it isn't according to the "rules", and the flexibility of English in that regard has made it eminently suitable for new technology.

I'm very happy that Coda (at the time) made up a new word to describe "tuplets", as it makes it very easy to grasp what the tool does. It's a nice word, not imperialistic at all, short yet descriptive, and not in the least ambiguous in the context of the program. May we all find jargon that is so neat in our work!

Christopher