Sibelius 5 has been announced, and final barrier to many Finale users has fallen. They now have their version of scroll-view, called Panorama.

For many of us, that has been a major sticking point in converting our workflow to Sibelius, and with this new release, scheduled to ship at the end of this month, there may be a new mass-exodus from Finale to Sibelius.

There are other enhancements, including Kontakt2 with a whole new bank of sounds which has been built from several soundbanks including GPO, so that there will apparently be a more complete instrument list than GPO-Finale has, included in the program. For the past year, GPO-Sibelius was an extra-cost add-on. There are advanced page layout capabilities, and a lot more, including a sort of sketchpad capability where you can sketch out a motif or a harmony or something and call it up for copy/paste. No need to resort to additional files for the ideas while working on a score. The list of new features is at the sibelius web-site, and I hope that the MakeMusic management is visiting there right now and seeing how a notation company ought to take its users more seriously.

I'm not advocating anybody jump ship from Finale to Sibelius, but I wanted people on this list to know about the new features, which make Sibelius an even stronger competitor against Finale.

My son has used Finale at home and Sibelius at school (admittedly only version 3) and he vastly prefers Sibelius. He's heading off to college in the fall as a music-ed major, so he'll be buying Sibelius to use there, and you can bet that he will be touting it to fellow music majors who might not be as computer literate as he is and also to the students he will eventually teach when he graduates. (where did I go wrong? -- actually I didn't, Finale did.)

Sibelius has had linked score/parts since version 4, and they have some of the same problems that Finale's version has, but there has been a lot less complaining on the Sibelius list than on the Finale list here.

AND, one of the biggest points in Sibelius' favor that MakeMusic must finally address -- version 4 introduced the capability to save current version files in earlier formats, and that is continuing with version 5. So there is no need for people to be forced to upgrade, and they can still share files and edit things and send them back. Admittedly a Sib4 file, with linked score/parts, if saved as version3 will lose the linked score/parts capability, but at least it can be shared without the need for add-on utilities or forced upgrades.

If MakeMusic doesn't do something fast (such as addressing long-standing bugs, taking users' requests for "save as earlier version" capabilities, and actually appearing to care about us) it will lose an even larger share of the notation software market.

--
David H. Bailey