On Jun 23, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

What is never right - in my scores, are the balances. Those things change so rapidly in a live performance, that I can't even imagine the amount of work it would take to include them in sound created by a machine, and whatever you created that way would change in the next live performance. So I mistrust the midi playback for this and apply my experience with live bands to judge whether or not I have a chance of having written what I want.

That is the right decision, IMHO. Balance is very touchy and organic, and probably the last thing for an orchestrator to understand properly (well, at least it was for me!) The examples you have heard of excellent MIDI realisations were done by people with a lot of orchestra experience and probably by comparing their work to an existing live recording. If a student had enough knowhow to balance a MIDI realisation like a live orchestra would, he wouldn't NEED the MIDI realisation to hear what he was doing! I am constantly seeing work handed to me to orchestrate by actual working composers who don't understand that a flute in the lowest octave is going to be buried by anything else playing more than a p dynamic level, for example.

Darcy has made thoughtful suggestions to Garritan for improvements in the balances, things that would get them started with a closer approximation of what you'd hear a band play, but those things vary so much from band to band that I'm not sure there is a "right" way to set up the midi balances.

Very true.

Orchestral balances are more standardized - maybe as a result of having refined them over the long history of orchestral music and the constant adjustments that have been made in numbers of players in the sections and the traditions of orchestral playing.

Yes, I would say particularly the latter, in the case of orchestral playing. I don't think the balance question is any easier to an orchestral musician; it just LOOKS easier because orchestral musicians have played together for a longer time than most large jazz groups. (Basie, Ellington, etc., are exceptions because they had bands that had stable personnel and dense schedules that rivaled the busiest classical groups.) The difference between a p and a f to an orchestral musician might be more one of timbre and shape than actual volume, and will change according to the period and composer anyway. These guys have been playing some of these works for a LONG time, and so know where the traps are. All you have to do is to hear a university orchestra in a first read-through of some standard to discover where the weaknesses are!

We have a tougher time in jazz bands. The traditional instrumentation is dynamically out of whack to begin with, and few bands compensate for this in a way that would satisfy my musical vision. (It is possible to do - check out The Sultans of Swing recordings for a contemporary example, or the Basie, Ellington and Mulligan bands for historical standards of balances that work.)

Are you referring particularly to the drums and bass? I would agree with you in that case, but in the case of the winds, the traditional sectional setups are actually quite well-balanced naturally, particularly compared with orchestral winds, which have all kinds of inconsistencies to deal with. And I wouldn't leave Gil Evans out the list of guys who work with balance quite well, though in his case it is often extreme examples that noone can figure out why they work as they do.

So what I want to suggest to users of this technology is something like: Check your pitches and rhythms, with the understanding that subtleties in each of those areas will be changed by live musicians (in good and bad ways!), and try to get an idea of the overall textural and timbral (is that a word?) structure - the similarities and contrasts. Then imagine that most of them will be vastly improved in any halfway decent live performance.

Hows that for a cautionary instruction?

Very good!

Christopher