On Jun 23, 2007, at 1:51 PM, Christopher Smith wrote:

We have a tougher time in jazz bands. The traditional instrumentation is dynamically out of whack to begin with, and few bands compensate for this in a way that would satisfy my musical vision. (It is possible to do - check out The Sultans of Swing recordings for a contemporary example, or the Basie, Ellington and Mulligan bands for historical standards of balances that work.)

Are you referring particularly to the drums and bass? I would agree with you in that case, but in the case of the winds, the traditional sectional setups are actually quite well-balanced naturally, particularly compared with orchestral winds, which have all kinds of inconsistencies to deal with. And I wouldn't leave Gil Evans out the list of guys who work with balance quite well, though in his case it is often extreme examples that noone can figure out why they work as they do.

Yes, I guess I am referring to that, the traditional rhythm section in general. It is not inherently balanced within itself, nor does it balance well with the winds. The piano is often overwhelmed, and the bass can only do so much before it is drowned out. I am not getting in to issues of amplification here. That is a discussion that has taken place earlier - as usual, without a universally accepted resolution. I am comfortable with no electronic amplification and balance adjustments made in the band that allow everything to be heard in reasonable proportion. I don't think I have much to add to the conventional wisdom of folks who eschew amplification of the piano and bass. The horns play much softer much more of the time, and this helps. This must be done while maintaining fullness of timbre and terrific attack (ah, I miss New York for that). I don't think there's much chance of programming that into midi playback. Everything longer than a quarter note needs a shaped envelope, and that shape changes according to many factors. And the drummer is the de facto dynamic controller of the band (when things are working right). If you've got a good one, you're in heaven. Otherwise, the other place.

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836
phone (360) 671-3402