Hi.

Well I have both Sibelius and Finale.   I have only been using them for
about 3 years now so am not an "old hand".  I had to start to use them
from a completely greenhorn start as a first time composition student.
One lecturer used Finale.. The rest all used Sibelius.   My first 6 to 9
months was completely Finale based until I eventually got Sibelius.

I have found - and this is totally personal - that Sibelius works best
for my thought patterns and work habits.    I also found that Sibelius
was a total breeze to learn.   Now I was not a died in the wool long
term Finale user so when relearning a new product I was not loaded by
lots of historical usage baggage and was totally open minded.

Personally, and I know this might not be everyone's experience, Sibelius
is the tool for me.
It produces output that is "professional enough" for my uses at the
moment.   And yes I have written works have been played by soloists,
chambers groups, chamber orchestra's and full orchestras - including
outputting scores and parts. Once I sorted out the "standard required" I
have had no complaints with my output.
And, although I freely agree that Finale has the ability adjust just
about everything to the Nth degree, I am not convinced on the actual
need - or at least not for me - to be able to do so.

I buy software to help me do the job quickly and efficiently and
Sibelius does that.   If I was that fussy I guess I would consider using
Finale but only if I could not get Sibelius to do what I want.  So far
that has not been the case.
Or I guess if it was that quirky or had "extremely difficult to do"
requirements I would possibly simply do it all by hand or pay someone
else to do the job - after all I am training as a composer and in the
end that I what I want to be..  There are professional engravers out
there that use various products (not just Finale) and so it was that
fussy a piece and or client then I would leave it to them and get on
with the next composition task.

So.. In the end.. Sibelius does what I need - I am not saying Finale is
not capable - that would be a stupid statement - but I am saying that
for me Sibelius works, it is quick and easy to learn and learning how to
do something new is quick and easy.

Also on the Sibelius list I find Daniel Spreadbury an invaluable
resource.. As are many of the other Sibelius users.

I do not intend stopping working with Finale..   But will only be using
it for say 15% of my work.  And in almost all those cases it will be
either 1/ to make it easier for me to pass the Finale file onto another
Finale user person or 2/  simply to keep my Finale hand in on the off
chance that Finale finally gets it together to a level where I feel that
Finale has become a "better" product for my working style and work
habits.   But I am not holding my breath I am afraid.

Steve Currington
Mature Student Composer
Wellington, New Zealand