I teach at Cal State Long Beach, in a department that's 40-50% music ed majors. They get some Sibelius instruction early on. Even still, almost half the ed majors use Finale. A majority of the other music students use Finale and about 30 of 35 comp majors. We never require them to choose one or the other.

What they all come to realize is that both programs take work to learn and they tend to make their choices based on what their friends use, as they'll be their sources for help. Of course some choose by which ever one they can find in bootleg. Only a small handful ask about the learning curve. Money and friends with knowledge seem much more important.

I teach the advanced Finale class and find that not just the composers are interested. I usually get one or two Sibelius users as well. Less than half return to Sibelius after the class.

Beginning next spring, all majors will be required to take a basic tech class so they can negotiate a simple recording and a basic score. We'll gladly offer PC and Mac versions for both Finale and Sibelius. I'll be interested to see the enrollment numbers in the various sections.

-Carolyn

Sent from my groovy iPhone