On 7 Aug 2007 at 5:10, dhbailey wrote:

> It would be interesting to learn (although I can't begin to figure out
> how one would do this) about the reasons for people to take your
> advanced Finale course, and then to remain with Finale rather than
> return to Sibelius (if that was what they started with.)  One reason
> may well be that with Finale, once one is shown how to use the great
> adjustability to advantage, it becomes much less scary, and is indeed
> one of the greatest strengths of Finale.

This would be in line with my theories of ease of learning vs. ease
of use. Score was a program that was *very* daunting to learn, but
once you got past that, it was extremely fast for inputting music
(though I always felt very insecure with it, since you put the
different aspects in as layers in strings of characters -- make one
mistake and everything would be off).

I think Finale *is* easy to use in a lot of ways (though there are
many obvious bottlenecks, too), and has been getting easier in
important ways over the last few years.

As far as Finale has yet to go, we tend to forget how far it has come
in the last 10 years.