On 11 Aug 2007 at 19:22, Thurletta Brown-Gavins wrote:

> Everyone on this list should "google themselves" and you'll probably
> get  the same surprise I did a month or so ago.

BTW -- I Googled the email address I post with to this list, and it
does *not* show up in Google. Perhaps that's because I've not
included my email address in my signature? I'd definitely recommend
against it, or mentioning your email address in the body of your
message. Most list aggregating websites obscure the FROM address
(though, as our discussion showed last week, not necessarily
effectively), but not all of them do the same for email addresses
included in the message body (though many services *do* obscure them
even when inline in messages).

If you're going to include an email addresss, I'd strongly suggest
"munging" it in some way, either putting in invalid characters and
noting what to take out ([EMAIL PROTECTED] will be
sufficient for most cases, and most people can figure out to take out
the word "not"). I think email harvesters are already smart enough to
figure out "myaddress at mydomain dot com" so that might not be
sufficient.

> Many of my Finale posts showed  up with links to OpenSubscriber and
> www.mail-archive.com/finale@shsu.edu,  to name a few. I find this
> especially bothersome because it never occurs  to me that posts
> made to the Finale or other lists will be "out there" for  all to
> see.

That's rather odd, seems to me, as when I Googled your current email
I didn't see any of those forums in the Google results. When I
searched for "Thurletta Brown-Gavins" I found lots of results, but
none of the ones that came up that weren't in the search for your
exact email address included an unobscured email address.

Unless you had a different email address that you found, it seems to
me that you are pretty safe, with only 3 pages in Google that have
your email address there in the clear -- all of those because you
included your email address in the body of your message.

A good lesson, actually -- don't include your email in the body of
your messages to the Finale list!