Don't forget Woody Allen marching with the cello in TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN...

From: Christopher Smith
Sent: Fri 24-Aug-07 11:37
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] Turn-of-the-century Band Music

On Aug 24, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Daniel Wolf wrote:

There is a great deal of continuity between Sousa's instrumentation and that of contemporary bands,

[snip]

The band membership also included a female vocalist, a violinist, and a harpist as soloists,

Heh, heh! My association of Sousa with marching bands made me spit my tea when the image of a marching harpist popped up in your discourse! I was already musing on marching bassoons, and how much I hate marching with a tuba, or the infinitely worse sousaphone, which is at least twice as heavy.

Great discussion, guys!

Christopher