As someone who writes a lot for band, I can say that a great deal of
flexibility already exists. There is no prescribed standard.

This works both for and against the composer: I can ask for just about
anything (8 horns, bass sax, harp, electric bass), but I have also
seen pieces with a more common instrumentation performed without
critical instruments (no oboe, no Eb clar, whatever).

-Carolyn Bremer