Ray-
Who's doing your double bell??
Jim

From: Raymond Horton
Sent: Fri 24-Aug-07 14:18
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] Turn-of-the-century Band Music

Daniel Wolf wrote:
There is a great deal of continuity between Sousa's instrumentation and that of contemporary bands, but there are couple of features worth noting. All flutes doubled on piccolo. Two oboes, 2nd doubling EH. The Bb clarinet section was large (12-27 players), with only one alto and one bass clarinet. Earlier Sousa bands used Eb Clarinet, but he discontinued this in favor of adding more flutes. The use of contrabassoon (or, in one season, contrabass sarrusaphone) was limited to a few seasons and was doubled by the second (of two) bassoonists. The sax section varied from four to eight players. Trumpets and cornets were strongly segregated, not doubling, usually in a two trumpet to four cornet ratio, although in the earlier years the lower cornet parts were taken by flugelhorns. Always four horns, and four trombones to two (or later) one euphonium. Sousa only had upright-bell sousaphones, and the earlier bands used a mixture of tubas and sousaphone, while the later bands used sousaphones exclusively. Always three percussionists. The band membership also included a female vocalist, a violinist, and a harpist as soloists, with the harpist also a standard member of the full ensemble, seated front center between woodwinds and brasses.

Daniel Wolf

This segregation of cornets and trumpet _parts_, (although the instruments were totally mixed up half and half) was still the norm in bands when I was a lad, but is uncommon now, I suppose. In my first formative year playing in a good high school band (1965-66), I played next to the first "trumpet," who was the second best player in the section and sat on the opposite end of the section from the first "cornet." Both were playing the wrong instruments, though. A year later, the first "trumpet" had advanced to first "cornet", but he had traded his cornet in for a new trumpet.

Whenever bands play works with both cornet and trumpet parts, all parts are played, of course, but there are not distinct sections, and the only kids with cornets are the ones who got them out of their granddad's attics.

I don't really know what the standard instrumentation for a new band piece is, I suppose 3 or 4 parts for "cornets/trumpets." In the one large work I wrote for concert band (my master's thesis) back in '75 I used three cornet and two trumpet parts - with the trumpet parts being intended for a smaller section or one on a part. I found it very useful.

On another subject you bring up - the low WWs, that large band I played in for a year in the 8th grade in 65-66 had the most amazing low reed section: BBb and Eb contrabass clarinets (that's the name I'm sticking to for the latter no matter what's done to me), four bass clarinets, bass sax, one or two bari sax, all complimenting a section of six tubas. We played a nice arrangement of J.S. Bach's _Fantasia_ in G that started with a bass low G - a sound I'll never forget.

Do you have any idea if the tuba-sousaphone mixture was intentional, and was the change to all sousaphones intentional? I wonder if they actually sounded better than the other tubas available at the time?

I am in the process of having a _removable_ double bell added to one of my euphoniums, but I haven't heard from the guy doing it for months (he was so confident at the start!). I really should email him...

Raymond Horton