Certainly you're right about the possibility of artistic expression of defined rhythms. We'd be in trouble if not. Even if this guy figures out how to do what he wants, I wonder what the pianist will do when he or she gets to that spot. "Huh?" comes to mind.

Maybe if I could see it...hint hint...to see what it would look like in context, and, by the way, how the composer's intentions would be communicated to the pianist. Seems to me you have to bridge the duck syndrome (waddles like a rolled chord, quacks like a rolled chord...)

--Richard