Does Sibelius have a decent group of tutorials via which one may learn said techniques?

Dean

On Oct 15, 2007, at 4:27 AM, dhbailey wrote:

Sibelius does allow the computer keyboard selection on pitches (in a much easier way than Finale, in my opinion, in that you hit an A and the closest A appears on the staff, B gives the nearest B, etc, rather than having to use A S D F G H J for one octave of A B C D E F G pitch entry) and it is the work of an instant to use ctrl-up or ctrl-down to change octaves for the pitch you just entered and then the next pitch key you press gives you the nearest example of that pitch. As with many aspects of Finale, it's quicker to do than to explain.

My advice to everybody who is thinking of trying Sibelius -- don't just leap into it thinking that your first project in Sibelius can be like your last project in Finale. I'd give the same advice (and have, repeatedly on this list) to anybody starting with Finale, no matter where they came from. Follow the tutorials, read the documentation concerning the entry methods, and be patient and practice it as a brand new tool.

Those who expect Sibelius to be Finale-East (as in coming from a country to the east of the U.S.) will be greatly disappointed, just as anybody thinking that Finale is merely Sibelius-West will also be disappointed.

They're two different programs which can achieve the same results -- elegant printed musical output.

--
David H. Bailey

Dean M. Estabrook
http://deanestabrook.googlepages.com/home

Don't worry about the end of the world, it's already tomorrow in Australia.

Charles Shultz