Ray Horton wrote:
Re Speedy vs. Simple and Sibelius:

When I started usin Finale (FinWin 97), I had a new computer with a temporary midi conflict from two sound cards. As a result, I couldn't use Speedy for a while and had to use Simple for a few weeks. That did give a benefit of becoming proficient with all the copying and transposing functions, because entering new notes was such a pain, but as soon as I got the sound card conflict resolved, I immediately switched to Speedy and have never left the Simple palette on my screen since. (I know 'it's improved now' but I don't care - speedy works well).

One question about improved Simple- can you now enter chords in Simple entry?

Also - I'm one of the people over on the Sibelius list, very recently. I asked about Garritan compatibilty, because I still might bite at the $80 Sibelius price. (I am told all the full Garritan products are fully compatible.) But I won't switch permanently unless I see real benefit.

So far on the list the welcome to us on that list has been less than tremendous: 'Switch to Sibelius - simple entry is far better because it's the only one we have' (On this I agree 100% with David Fenton.) And we have been called "rats leaving a sinking ship."

I'm a member of that list, too, and I don't recall anybody saying that "simple entry is the only one we have."

The entry methods are different between the two programs and there really isn't a way to compare directly Sibelius's mixture of entry capabilities with a single Finale tool.

Yes, Sibelius doesn't split their entry methods between two different tools, but that doesn't mean there is only one entry method for Sibelius.

Any combination of computer keyboard, mouse and midi-keyboard is possible in Sibelius, just as in Finale. The one control which Sibelius lacks that Finale has is the ability to use the up/down cursor keys to place the pitch. And if that's a deal-breaker for somebody, that's fine, there's no reason to switch. I certainly won't try to tell anybody they should move to Sibelius. I will say that using a midi keyboard along with the numpad layouts in Sibelius, I was amazed to find that I am as fast at entering music in Sibelius as I am using Speedy Entry in Finale, and far faster than I have ever been able to be using Simple Entry in Finale.

When new people join that group there isn't usually a slew of welcoming messages, but when I joined this Finale list there wasn't any welcoming message either. I jumped in to the discussion, just as people do on the Sibelius list. I didn't get any sort of welcome message when I joined that list either.

The remark about "rats leaving a sinking ship" was tongue in cheek (I know the person who posted it). But I will say that I made the transition to being able to work with Sibelius before MakeMusic's corporate floundering forced me to make it when I wasn't ready or able to make the transition. Now I can work comfortably in either program as the mood takes me, sharpening my skills in both and should MakeMusic either go under or decide to stop upgrading Finale and to stop supporting it, I'll be prepared. If that makes me a "rat leaving a sinking ship" then that's fine with me. I certainly don't feel insulted by it.

--
David H. Bailey