At 12:07 PM +0100 10/31/07, Hans Swinnen wrote:
In the 12th century or something when introducing a 7th note to the already existing hexachord, there was a babylonic confusion about the name. We know that the first syllabe of each verse came out the hymne for St Johannes (Ut..., Re..., Mi..., etc.) where indeed every sentence started a tone above the previous. But what about the new, seventh note? A solution was found at the end of the hymne: Sanctus Iohannis has lent his initials to name the Si. But..., a second problem arised by introducing the musica ficta: should it be a high or a low Si? Therefore we invented two new signs: a rondinum and a quadratum. The quadratum looks like a h, our natural sign, later even transformed to a sharp, while the rondinum stand for a lowered (b). This system has evolved to other steps of the scale.

The names C-D-E... (or originally A-B(H)-C...) were invented later.

Hello, Hans, and you are very close to the truth in these matters. First, the chronology. Guido d'Arezzo invented both the hexachord system and staff notation in the early 11th century, probably around AD 1030. And he composed the hymn tune which generated the six syllable names for the notes in the hexachord. (The hymn itself, which is to say the poetry, had been around for about a century at the time.) His particular genius was to have taken different ideas that had been kicking around for 2 centuries or more and put them together in a new way, and his motivation was to find a way to teach the choirboys who were under his care all the chants of the Mass and Holy Office, a way that was better than teaching them each chant by ear. He succeeded brilliantly, and wrote that the training period, using his system of hexachordal analysis, was dramatically reduced from 10 years to 2 years, and his trained choristers could sightread a new chant from staff notation. This opened up the future possibility of using choirboys in polyphonic music while their voices had not yet broken. The secret of the hexachord's successes was always knowing where the halfsteps were on the staff, between "mi" and "fa" in each of the three hexachords.

But Guido's system already incorporated the letter names of the notes. His "gamut" (which represented all the notes used in chant for men's and boys' voices, and NOT all the theoretically possible notes) named each note with its letter name PLUS the solfege syllables that note could have in each of the three hexachords. So the note A=440 hz could serve as "la" in the natural hexachord, as "mi" in the soft hexachord, or as "re" in the hard hexachord, and was named "Alamire." (A nom de guerre adopted by one of King Henry VIII's spies, who like Henry was a musician!)

Guido's system, devised for teaching purposes, was so successful that it was still in use at the early 17th century, some 600 years later, and was used in Thomas Morley's "A Plaine and Easie Introduction to Practicall Musicke" late in the 16th century. So while I do not know for sure where or when the syllable "ti" or "si" was added, it was probably no earlier than the 17th century and certainly not as early as the 12th. And you may be perfectly correct about the origin of S.I., although it could equally well be an urban legend.

Incidentally, Guido's system was the original "Movable Do" (actually "Movable Ut") system, and only much later did the "Fixed Do" syllables which you identify as Italian replace the letter names which Guido had used.

Which leaves the matter of B and H (or more properly b and h). There was a reason that Guido needed to use three overlapping hexachords, and that reason was the note "b." It was the ONLY variable note used in the chant of his time, and so was considered unstable. Thus his natural hexachord (c d e f g a) avoided B entirely; the soft hexachord (f g a bb c d) used the lowered form of B; and the hard hexachord (g a b c d e) used the raised form of B. (Remember, the key to the use of the hexachords was that there was ALWAYS a halfstep between "mi" and "fa," the two notes at the center of the 6-note pitch set.)

Thus, the lowered form of B was indicated by a lower case b, which indeed did develop into our flat sign. And the raised form of B was indicated by a squared-off lower case b, which evolved into our sharp sign, our natural sign (much later in history), and apparently to the Germanic use of H for the raised B. Originally it was simply a "hard" or raised form of b indicated by a squared off b without the extra strokes that it eventually gained.

The use of musica ficta came much later in history, of course, and only once polyphony became common. (The only time it would have come up in chant was when "una nota super la ..." (one note above "la" in any hexachord) "... semper est canendem fa" (was altered to be a halfstep above "la," generally when it was the highest note in a phrase and the melody stayed in the original hexachord rather than mutating to a higher one. And for a few centuries ficta were not notated in music at all, but added by singers according to various rules. Eventually, of course (meaning basically the 16th century), chromatic alterations became quite common, and that's when the ancient signs were updated to our flats, sharps, and eventually naturals.

(Thus, the 5th note in the melody used for "Greensleeves" would have been sung lowered--a Bb if the melody starts on D--by rule as "una nota super la.")

Like I said:  monks with feathers.

John

--
John R. Howell