John Howell wrote:
The fact is that an excellent modern baroque orchestra DOES sound quite different from an excellent modern orchestra using 19th century performance practices,

It would take a very deaf ear indeed for anyone to argue differently. I find nothing in what I've read of Taruskin but what that he would likely completely agree.

Nor can I say that I would rather hear Marais played on 19th cent. instruments. The point is not that historically informed practice is not different, nor even that it is not "better". The point is that it is a 20th cent. (and 21st cent.) performance practice. Not a (in the case of Bach) 18th cent. performance practice.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com