Stu McIntire wrote:
Thanks much for this history lesson.  Regarding "Greensleeves", does this
mean that it is always historically incorrect to perform it with the fifth
note NOT lowered?

Depends on how far back in history you want to go -- Jeff Beck did a wonderful acoustic guitar version back in the 60s (the 1960s, that is, not the 1260s) on his "Truth" album and he raised that note from the traditionally lowered pitch and it opened my eyes to a whole new piece of music and new possibilities in music in general (I was an impressionable undergrad music major when I first heard it in 1970 or 1971).

--
David H. Bailey