Richard Smith wrote:
Since, from the tone of the list recently, the "religious war" between Finale and Sibelius seems to be waning as both packages mature and since world wide communications and data sharing have become so instant, I have some questions for the list. What are your thoughts and why?

  1. Have we gotten to the point where .PDF is the best way to deliver
     music to clients and publishers or should editable data files
     (Finale, Sibelius or others) continue to be expected.

I think the answer truly is "it depends." These days clients (at least those I have worked with) range anywhere from 'I will never ever ever have a computer' to 'I've gotten the files almost the way I want them but they just need a professional engraver's eye to complete the layout.' So for those individual clients, sometimes the data files are what they are hiring us for and sometimes they are hiring us for printed output with no data files and sometimes they are perfectly happy with PDF files -- all they want is to be able to easily have it printed at Kinko's or some other print shop. Publishers may well have inhouse experts they wish to do the final layout to have all their publications be consistent with each other in appearance, so they would continue to want the data files. Other publishers, such as the small flute publisher I have a number of works with, only want printable files so they only want the PDF files.

  2. Should publishers publishers out source engraving work as needed
     or is in house engraving a better choice?

That also depends on the nature of the publishers. There have always been small niche-market publishers as well as huge publishing houses who can sign the big names in composing, and for the different sized publishers there need to be different answers. Warner Brothers (well, actually, Alfred, since they bought the Warner Brothers print music division) and Hal Leonard will always need to have in-house engravers in addition to their freelance external engravers, while small publishers don't need to have anybody on-staff to do engraving. Freelance engravers work just fine if the publishers maintain close communications with them. Other publishers make their consistency only through the covers they use and the appearance of any explanatory notes, but the actual notation they are less concerned about, so as long as it looks neat and is legible, they have no such concern as a "house style."

  3. Do e-mails and attachments (along with  occasional phone calls)
     make long distance (even international) work practical.

Definitely -- PublisherA located in San Francisco can use EngraverB living in Dubai if they choose with communication expenses zero (above their internet connectivity expenses) as well as data exchange being instantaneous. No longer does there have to be any face-to-face contact.

  4. Should publishers who want to do editing and final engraving in
     house be reasonably expected to have software and engravers for
     both Sibelius and Finale?

Again, that depends on who the publisher is. Some publisher such as Boosey & Hawkes or Hal Leonard can dictate the way the music is submitted, while other publishers need to be more sensitive to what the composers/arrangers they publish can offer. In the case of small publishers who need the composers as much as the composers need the publishers, they need to be versatile and able to work with whatever files are submitted. In the case of Hal Leonard or Alfred or Boosey&Hawkes, they can easily say "submit the music in form X or take a hike."

  5. How many publishers expect engraving to be done (usually) by the
     original composers/arrangers?

That, too, depends -- the flute publisher I work with requires that the music be submitted already computer-engraved and ready to print. However, if they really want to publish a specific composer or composition, they will sometimes split the cost of having a hand-written work computer-engraved and other times will simply put the composer in touch with me and let the composer and me negotiate the terms to engrave the composition.

Many of us work in very different parts of the music preparation or publishing fields and may have quite different perspectives. Since our requirements can be very different, I thought your responses might provide an interesting discussion.

Richard Smith
http://rgsmithmusic.com

David H. Bailey