On Nov 1, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Richard Smith wrote:

Since, from the tone of the list recently, the "religious war" between Finale and Sibelius seems to be waning as both packages mature and since world wide communications and data sharing have become so instant, I have some questions for the list. What are your thoughts and why?

  1. Have we gotten to the point where .PDF is the best way to deliver
     music to clients and publishers or should editable data files
     (Finale, Sibelius or others) continue to be expected.

My clients won't get Finale files from me if I have used my custom fonts, which is most of the time. Bigger clients will probably supply templates.

  2. Should publishers publishers out source engraving work as needed
     or is in house engraving a better choice?

Good question. I dunno.

  3. Do e-mails and attachments (along with  occasional phone calls)
     make long distance (even international) work practical.

Absolutely. I have been sending work to other cities while never leaving my basement for ten years now.

  4. Should publishers who want to do editing and final engraving in
     house be reasonably expected to have software and engravers for
     both Sibelius and Finale?

I would think that THEY would set the rules themselves and hire accordingly. Somebody who works for a large publisher (not me) would answer this better.

  5. How many publishers expect engraving to be done (usually) by the
     original composers/arrangers?

Heh, heh! In my case, almost always! But I rarely work for large publishers.

Am I to understand that these answers will serve as ammunition for you in a discussion you are presently having with a client? 8-)

Christopher