It's the 1919 (or 1918?!) suite I'm thinking of, yes.  I've never seen
anything other than much-abused rental copies of the parts...

I've discussed with a number of people about the apparent difficulty of
getting back in tune afterwards.  Many say 'oh no, impossible', without
even considering the details.  Some go with me, that tuning the string
correctly followed by keeping track of how much you turn the adjuster to
lower by a tone means you can silently return to something pretty damn
close (and it's not as if string players never adjust their tuning while
performing, anyway).  I've yet to find a situation where I can persuade
a conductor to try this out, though.