On Feb 23, 2008, at 1:16 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Hi Chuck,

The discussion has not been about the difficulty of learning to play in an unfamiliar tuning, but rather the allegation that detuning a string instrument can cause serious, lasting problems to the instrument itself.

Sorry, my bad.

Probably shouldn't jump in after having deleted all the preceding posts.

Chuck

(I should add that the harmonic gliss passage from The Firebird under discussion is not at all difficult to play!)

Clearly, the issues are much different for jazz improvisers vs. learning to play a written passage that calls for an alternate tuning.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]