At 12:52 PM -0400 3/11/08, Darcy James Argue wrote:
Hi Johannes,

So far, I only have one client who insists on Sibelius, so I am still learning the ropes. (I used to be pretty good with SIb 1.4, but obviously a lot has changed since then!)

I will definitely post about my experience with Sib once I have a better handle on the program. So far, it's been a real mix of "gee, that's really nice, I wish Finale did that" and "this should not be so hard -- I can't believe how annoying and frustrating it is to do this one simple thing." Some examples of the latter would be positioning gliss lines, or trying to reduce the default bottom margin below the allowable threshold, or trying to figure out how far from the page edge a bit of Title text is, or Sibelius's insistence on using spaces and millimeters exclusively in its dialog boxes.

Some of those defaults can be changed under Layout -> Document Setup. You have a choice of mm, inches, or points. And I've fought with the bottom margin because anything below the bottom staff looks like it's outside the allowable margin, but actually it prints just fine, so that's something else I haven't figured out yet. I do hate the automatic justification "feature," but I seem to be the only one who does.

Filtering seems to be a majorly useful feature, but I haven't figured it out either. It's like anything else: What you use regularly you learn to use efficiently. What you DON'T use regularly can be hard to remember, and I confuse easily!

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music