Inspired by this post by Kyle Gann:

http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/2008/03/dont_blame_me_it_was_henry_cow.html

I set out to recreate the brief example from Michael Gordon's "Trance" (great piece, BTW) in Finale -- with correct playback -- and quickly hit a brick wall.

The rhythm is (with "e" = eighth note, and "3" = one quarter-note triplet):

4/4 | e e e e 3 3 3 | 3 e e e e 3 3 | 3 e e e e 3 3 | 3 3 e e e e 3 | 2/4 3 3 3 |

I couldn't figure out how to get Finale to accept the incomplete quarter note triplet. What I need here "one quarter note in the space of 2/3rds of a quarter note," but the Finale interface doesn't provide for that. Is there another way?

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]