On 22 Mar 2008, at 9:10 AM, shirling & neueweise wrote:

For the curious:
Finally, hide all the triplets and render the partial triplets graphically.

in this example you would only need it on m2-3, then m1 notated normally.

Well, mm.2-4, actually, with m.1 and m.5 notated normally, but yeah -- only the measures with partial triplets need to be bracketed with whole-measure triplets.

great solution, but i don't like the fact that you can't actually use finale's tuplets at all in your explanation. so i would add another tuplet 2:2 on last 2 in m2 (hide number, place manually as expression),

Michael Gordon's notation is just a "3" below each note for partial tuplets (no brackets), but I didn't like that so I tried to figure out how to do incomplete tuplet brackets. I think this looks much better. So I ended up trying exactly what you describe above, and ran into the same problem you found with the tuplet numbers:

the space where the number should be shrinks when there is no number, so best solution would be to use a shape expression with white box behind the number; would have to piddle with it to see if best as note-attached or measure-attached... except that GODDAMMIT it doesn't actually work, the tuplet draws in front of the white box grrrrrrrrrr.

"grrrrrrrrrr" indeed -- and it's probably unreasonable to expect we'll get much love from MM on this. (That is, unless Michael Gordon himself wants to call up MM... but I believe he uses Sibelius.)

well, a judiciously-place text expression 3 is still very readable in the smaller space.

Yeah -- I messed around with a few alternate solutions, but I found that this was probably the least bad one.

you could also use a note-attached custom smart shape that might react at least partially correct in the event of changes, but you couldn't bracket the full duration without worrying about having to reposition. measure-attached custon smart shape would work better for full duration, but it wouldn't move vertically at all if anything is changed.

Haven't tried either of those -- I should experiment more. Once I got the correct playback, I got distracted trying to learn to play this figure. It is not easy! The guy on the Icebreaker recording of "Trance" is pretty good, but even he scuffles a bit, especially when he's trying to keep it steady against all the other parts.

Cheers,

- DJA
-----
EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]