On May 20, 2008, at 9:29 PM, Ryan Beard wrote:

Hi Folks,
couldn't find this issue in past threads, so I
apologize if this is an oft-repeated question.

How do you all feel about using dotted quarters in
6/8, 9/8, 12/8 and dotted halves in 12/8? If you tell
finale to fill a bar with rests, it uses the quarter
and eighth rests rather than dotted ones. I think
that's fine for 6/8, but when you get into the larger
meters, having so many symbols makes it difficult to
group the beats together (e.g. there is no real "half"
rest for 12/8, which makes it hard to divide it into
mentally-manageable chunks).

Aside from your opinions on the subject, I guess my
real question is this: Is there a way for me to make
Finale use the rests that I prefer in a given meter? I
haven't spent much time looking yet, but figured you
guys could save me an hour or two!

In a word, no.

You will generally have to enter the dotted rests manually, but hey, that's the same number of keystrokes as entering two rests, so no net loss there.

Except when copying partial measures, when Finale will automatically regroup rests to the default.

Christopher