From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Ray Horton
Sent: Wed 23-Jul-08 23:21
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] no MIDI with a Creative Prodikeys keyboard

OK, on my Windows XP system I can get playback (MIDI or Garritan) or
input from my Creative Prodikeys DM keyboard (combo computer and midi
keyboard), (depending on which software I have reinstalled last) but not
both.

After using the Prodigy keyboard with no problem for a few years, I shut
the computer down for a week to leave town in early June.  When I
returned, I started having some problems with the computer which were
eventually solved with a new power supply.  But these
midi-Finale-Prodikeys problems have remained.

The computer part of keyboard works with no problem.

Before receiving the new 2009 DVD, I tried reinstalling both the
Prodikeys software and Finale.  After the former, starting Finale
results in this message: "The specified device handle is invalid."
Finale then loads with no sound or midi input.  This error message is
one I recognize from days gone past when i would accidentally be running
a midi sequencer and open Finale on top of it.  It would require a
reboot to fix.  It seems to suppose that the Prodikeys is running some
kind of midi program that Finale does not agree with, but i cannot
locate one.

Reinstalling Finale 2008 would gain me playback, but no recognition of
the Prodikeys midi keyboard - it does not show up on the midi setup.

Right now, after reinstalling the Prodikeys and installing Fin 2009, I
get the above error message when I start Finale, and I  _do_ see the
Prodigy showing in the Midi setup (although, of course, it doesn't work!).

Thanks for any advice offered.

Raymond Horton