Here's my take.

I think all notation books will agree that accidentals apply only to
one octave. In usage, I find that players will play all octaves with
the same accidental. Perhaps your particular ensemble is used to
having an accidental show on only one octave while applying to all,
but it is technically incorrect. That said, in my book, the players
win.

It is almost always easier to read two different note heads, as you
suggest. But, I think in practice (again) that G# - F-double sharp is
so unusual that it is difficult for players to get quickly. Can you
respell to Ab - G? The rule I use is to consider what the players have
most often encountered (and particularly in scales that they'd
practice frequently) and notate to that when spelling gets
complicated. Theory loses this one.

Musicians of decent caliber who complain do so because they haven't
seen something often enough for it to become part of their arsenal.
Should the copyist "teach" a musician to read double flats and sharps,
or should the copyist work within the tradition of what a musician
most often sees? I am sure there are good reasons for both, but again,
I come down on the side of the musician.

I look forward to reading the other responses, as these questions
don't have a perfect answers.

-Carolyn