At 2:30 PM -0400 8/2/08, Andrew Stiller wrote:
On Jul 31, 2008, at 11:56 AM, John Howell wrote:

There were two VERY successful bands in the early '60s that pushed the limits of jazz/pop/rock'n'roll/classical styles and started a fusion movement that continued for at least 15 years (and may still be happening). ... The two bands I'm thinking of were, of course, Blood, Sweat and Tears and the original Chicago Transit Authority.

I can't for the life of me see how either of those bands can be considered as anything but rock groups, either musically or sociologically. And both of them are from the *late* 60s: Chicago from 1967or '69, depending how you count (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicago_Transit_Authority_(album)) , and BST from 1968 (Hardy and Laing: _The Encyclopedia of Rock, vol. 2_ [1976])

Damn!!! You're right, Andrew. I could have SWORN that they both dated from the early '60s, but if the Wikipedia article on BS&T is accurate they debuted in November '67, reformed in their best-known configuration with David Clayton-Thomas in '69, and have bumbled along to the present day like so many other bands, with constant changes in personnel and concept. Their "Official Website" say's it's their 40th anniversary year. Wikipedia narrows that down to their 40th "touring anniversary."

Same thing for CTA. Shaky start in '67, first hit album '69, but a much bigger album than BS&T. So that puts them both right up against the mature Beatles (if that isn't an oxymoron!) starting with Sgt. Pepper.

My own group (always a vocal group who played instruments; NEVER a band!), The Four Saints, was on tour full-time from '61-'70. Unfortunately our recordings weren't released, they escaped! We were the most successful unknown act in show business.

They say the brain is the second thing to go.  Must be true!

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.