At 5:18 AM -0400 7/31/08, dhbailey wrote:
Patrick Sheehan wrote:

I'll ask a bold question: Do you think musicians who
complain about double sharps and double flats exemplify
poor musicianship, because they're "too hard to figure
out"?  Anyone with me on that?    I have seen
double-sharps and double-flats in ALL kinds of stock
arrangements, engraved or (poorly) hand-written.

I do not think that such complaints reflect poor musicianship any more than I think that people who choose to use them reflect musical snobbery.

Every genre of music has its own vocabulary that the majority of people comfortable playing in that genre are most used to seeing and that they expect. To bring the expectations and standards from one genre to another is to invite problems unnecessarily.

You're entering their world -- don't try to force them to enter your world or you'll soon be replaced by another copyist who better understands what they're looking for.

Not only is David absolutely correct, but I'd take it a step further--several steps, perhaps, although from radically different viewpoints.

Take off your music theorist's hat for a few minutes, and throw it in the corner. Put on your historian's hat. Double flats and double sharps are, historically, adventures into unknown, or theoretical, or hypothetical territory. They did not exist in historical notation, and I'm talking up through the transition from renaissance to early baroque style, harmony, and theory. In fact theorists fought over whether the notes Fb or Cb were even theoretically possible, since in THEIR theory F and C were already "fa" (i.e. the lowered form of a variable pitch), the purpose of a flat was to alter a note to "fa," and the idea of making a "fa" even more "fa" was simply absurd.

Secondly, take a realistic look at jazz players prior to about 1960. Some of them could read music, some of them couldn't. If they couldn't, it didn't matter, because their ears worked! If they could, they didn't let it get in their way, because it was the sound that counted, not the little picky details of how that sound was represented on paper. Harmony wasn't something you analyzed, it was something you absorbed and lived in!

So why do I pick 1960 as a turning point? Simple. There were two VERY successful bands in the early '60s that pushed the limits of jazz/pop/rock'n'roll/classical styles and started a fusion movement that continued for at least 15 years (and may still be happening). They were both up at the top of the charts. And they both used something new: horn lines made up of young, talented players who had come up out of university study of their instruments and not just out of playing in bars and road houses. They had technique. They had classical tone, and classical control of their instruments, along with solid jazz style. Yes, they would have studied and understood double flats and sharps along with the rest of music theory, but that isn't the question. The proper question is whether they would have been used to seeing that kind of notation on a daily basis and sightreading it, or whether they understood it intellectually but didn't consider it terribly important for what they were doing.

The two bands I'm thinking of were, of course, Blood, Sweat and Tears and the original Chicago Transit Authority. Along with everything else, they brought straight 8th notes back into jazz as an acceptable alternative to swung 8ths. In fact, they were ground-breaking on any number of levels, and I marveled every time another of their sides made it onto the charts.

So, Patrick, is it your job to educate the musicians you'll be copying for, or to give them charts they'll be comfortable with? Actually, I think you've answered your own question by bringing it up here for discussion! To put it crudely, the client is right, whether you agree or not!!

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.