Patrick Sheehan wrote:
[snip]

1. Accidentals He claims that, in a (e.g.) scalar run: (Key of Bb Major), if the clarinet plays a scalar run
(with Ab accidentals only, outside of the key) starting
on it's written low F (below the staff), it will play F,
G, Ab, Bb, C, D, Eb, F, G, THEN... should the upper
A-flat be remarked since it's in the next octave, or is
it automatically assumed that it's flat, because it was
flat in the lower octave?  I claim that's not the
practice, he claims it is.  Answer on that one, please.

Yes, the upper Ab should also be marked. I expect the same in "classical" or non-pop music as well. The older practice of an accidental affecting all octaves within that measure was passe when I was in music theory class in 1970! My professor then impressed on us that each octave was its own pitch and the rule for accidentals affected ONLY that single pitch it was applied to.

2.  Double Sharps, Double Flats: As we all know, some big
band ballads or jazz chart ballads can be in some nasty
keys (e.g.  a lot of Glenn Miller's charts are in Db and
Ab), moreso in favor for the vocalist, and my question
is: if something like a chromatic scalar run in the
woodwinds would have a heavy-sharped key (B Major), would
you write a chromatic run as B, B-sharp, C#, C
double-sharp, D#, etc....OR    B, C-natural, C#,
D-natural, D#, etc.). I would always go with the former.

Leave the double-sharps and double-flats out of such a passage as much as possible.

My view is, the natural-then-sharp accidental fashion is
much too difficult on the eye.  Isn't this what double
sharps and double flats (respectively) are for?  How
about if you had a figure that went inbetween a G# and a
G natural for two pairs of sixteenth notes (for two
counts in 4/4?).  Would you want to have to read a G#
G-nat G# G-nat  G# G-nat  G# G-nat mess?!?!  Or, easier,
a G#-to F-double sharp breeze-of-a-read?

It's only a "breeze-of-a-read" if you're used to reading double sharps. If you're not, then it's more difficult than what you call a "mess."

I'd use the G#-Gnat everytime -- the "language" of jazz musicians, from my experience, doesn't include double-sharps or double-flats except in the cases of the very esoteric jazz bands, which Miller's band was hardly one of. Kenton's band or Herman's band I would expect to be able to read double-sharps/double-flats. Toshiko Akiyoshi / Lew Tabackin Big Band is another such band. But the majority of them are used to reading music with single flats and single sharps. Lots of accidentals don't bother them, but double-sharps and double-flats aren't second nature to many musicians in jazz bands.

I'll ask a bold question: Do you think musicians who
complain about double sharps and double flats exemplify
poor musicianship, because they're "too hard to figure
out"?  Anyone with me on that?    I have seen
double-sharps and double-flats in ALL kinds of stock
arrangements, engraved or (poorly) hand-written.

I do not think that such complaints reflect poor musicianship any more than I think that people who choose to use them reflect musical snobbery.

Every genre of music has its own vocabulary that the majority of people comfortable playing in that genre are most used to seeing and that they expect. To bring the expectations and standards from one genre to another is to invite problems unnecessarily.

You're entering their world -- don't try to force them to enter your world or you'll soon be replaced by another copyist who better understands what they're looking for.

--
David H. Bailey