I just installed F2009, moving from 2007. 2007 never had the jazz instruments, so I never used the Garritan sounds. One of the primary reasons I upgraded was to get the more realistic playback on big band charts.

I have created a simple score from the Finale setup wizard, letting it set all the defaults for the Garritan jazz instruments. I must say my first impression is that this doesn't sound particularly realistic. To my ears, it sounds pretty much like the regular synth sounds, only with a lot more reverb.

I am wondering:

1) Does anybody else share that opinion, or perhaps have a completely different opinion?

2) Are there some tweaks that people have found necessary in order to make the Garritan jazz instruments play back more realistically?