On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:41 PM, John Howell wrote:

At 11:20 PM -0500 8/3/08, Richard Smith wrote:
Just a comment on larger scores. I find a 17" score too long to handle easily in rehearsal. It hangs over the end of the stand and sort of "droops" causing the pages to be difficult to turn.

Clearly some scores really need the extra length, but I find 11x14 a very good option for a larger score. It fits the stand nicely so that the pages turn easily and the aspect ratio allows for larger print while leaving the format very similar to a letter size score. It's not a standard size (although it is a standard size for photographs) but it's easy enough to just print 11x17 and trim 3" from the bottom of the paper.
Just a thought...

Hi, Richard. Do you mean legal size? 8.5" x 14"? A double spread in that case would be 14" x 17", not 11" x 14". Or maybe I'm just confused.

Just for reference, the standard desk height for Manhasset stands is 12.5". Only one of their stands is larger, the #54 "Regal by Manhasset" Conductor's Stand, with a desk that's 32" wide x 15.5" high. But some other companies' conductor stands (including those used in our school district) are also larger, and quite able to support 17" scores.

If Richard allows me to speak for him, I'm pretty sure he meant 11x14, as he wrote. It was a standard score size in the pencil score days, and has held over into Finale land. Some of my scores are 11x14 (particularly the orchestra ones) and they are very convenient. I just sometimes need the extra 3" of height for the extra staves...

Christopher